bunch of nonsense

i think, therefore I am (an RN)

Correction of Error: Republic Act 9048 Marso 22, 2007

Filed under: business attire,english alphabet,for the record — nixinne @ 3:56 hapon

I just have a problem with my son’s birth certificate. There is an error with my age in my son’s birth certificate. Sa mga nakakakilala sa akin, wag nang magtanong! So i researched some stuff regarding this. I think i am just stupid with law becasue i just cannot understand this. Maybe some of you who would come across this would give me and insight on my situation. It is MY age and NOT my son’s age that i will be changing. So therefore i wouldnt be making any changes in my son’s sex, age, nationality and status.

Do i really need a judicial court order to change this?

It says here… “correction of clerical or typographical errors in any entry in civil registry documents, except corrections involving the change in sex, age, nationality and status of a person.”

Does this pertain to the owner of the birth certificate ONLY ? or does this also pertain to everybody that is involved in the birth certificate? (mother, father?)

Please HELP!

Republic Act 9048
Act Authorizing the C/MCR or Consul General
to Correct a Clerical or Typographical Error
in an Entry and/or Change of First Name
or Nickname in the Civil Register
Without Need of a Judicial


Republic Act (RA) 9048 authorizes the city or municipal civil registrar or the consul general to correct a clerical or typographical error in an entry and/or change the first name or nickname in the civil register without need of a judicial order.

RA 9048 amends Articles 376 and 412 of the Civil Code of the Philippines, which prohibit the change of name or surname of a person, or any correction or change of entry in a civil register without a judicial order.

President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo approved the act on 22 March 2001. With the law taking effect on 22 April 2001, the Civil Registrar-General promulgated Administrative Order No. 1 Series of 2001, which was published in the newspaper in August that year.


RA 9048 allows these corrections:

correction of clerical or typographical errors in any entry in civil registry documents, except corrections involving the change in sex, age, nationality and status of a person.
(A clerical or typographical error refers to an obvious mistake committed in clerical work, either in writing, copying, transcribing, or typing an entry in the civil register that is harmless and innocuous, such as a misspelled name or misspelled place of birth and the like, and can be corrected or changed only by reference to other existing record or records.)

change of a person’s first name in his/her civil registry document under certain grounds specified under the law through administrative process.


(1) The petitioner finds the first name or nickname to be ridiculous, tainted with dishonor or extremely difficult to write or pronounce;

(2) The new first name or nickname has been habitually and continuously used by the petitioner and he has been publicly known by that first name or nickname in the community; or,

(3) The change will avoid confusion.


Whether it is for correction of clerical or typographical error, or for change of first name, the petition may be filed by a person of legal age who must have a direct and personal interest in the correction of the error or in the change of first name in the civil register.

A person is considered of legal age when he is eighteen years old and above. Thus, a minor (less than eighteen years old) cannot by himself file a petition, either for correction of clerical or typographical error or for change of his first name.

Only the following persons are considered to have a direct and personal interest in the correction of clerical error or change of first name:

Owner of the record that contains the error to be corrected or first name to be changed

Owner’s spouse, children, parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, guardian, or any other person duly authorized by law or by the owner of the document sought to be corrected.


The petition, whether it is for correction of clerical error or for a change of first name, should be accomplished properly and in the prescribed form. Section 5 of RA 9048 and Rule 8 of Administrative Order No. 1, S. 2001 require that the petition should be in the form of an affidavit, hence, it should be subscribed and sworn to before a person authorized to administer oath.

Basically, the petition must contain the following facts or information:

Merits of the petition
Competency of the petitioner
Erroneous entry to be corrected and proposed correction; first name to be changed and the proposed new first name


The petition shall not be processed unless the petitioner supports it with the required documents. The supporting documents should be authentic and genuine, otherwise, the petition shall be denied or disapproved pursuant to Rule 5.8 of Administrative Order No. 1, S. 2001. The following supporting documents are admissible as basic requirements:

Certified machine copy of the certificate containing the alleged erroneous entry or entries

Not less than 2 public or private documents upon which the correction shall be based. Examples of these documents are the following: baptismal certificate, voter’s affidavit, employment record, GSIS/SSS record, medical record, school record, business record, driver’s license, insurance, land titles, certificate of land transfer, bank passbook, NBI/police clearance, civil registry records of ascendants, and others.

Notice and Certificate of Posting

Certified machine copy of the Official Receipt of the filing fee

Other documents as may be required by the City/Municipal Civil Registrar (C/MCR)


As in the case of correction of clerical error, no petition for change of first name shall be accepted unless the petitioner submits the required supporting papers, as follows:

All the documents required of the petitioner for the correction of clerical error shall also be required of the petitioner for change of first name.

Clearance from authorities such as clearance from employer, if employed; the National Bureau of Investigation; the Philippine National Police; and other clearances as may be required by the concerned C/MCR.

Proof of Publication. An affidavit of publication from the publisher and copy of the newspaper clippings should be attached.


The C/MCR and the District/Circuit Registrar (D/CR) are authorized to collect from every petitioner the following rates of filing fees:

One thousand pesos (P1,000.00) for the correction of clerical error

Three thousand pesos (P3,000.00) for the change of first name
In the case of a petition filed with the Consul General (CG), the fees are the same for all Philippine Consulates. The fees are the following:

Fifty U.S. dollars ($50.00) for the correction of clerical or typographical error

One hundred fifty U.S. dollars ($150.00) for the change of first name
A migrant petitioner shall pay an additional service fee to the Petition Receiving Civil Registrar (PRCR).

This service fee shall accrue to the local treasury of the PRCR.

Five hundred pesos (P500.00) for correction of clerical or typographical error

One thousand pesos (P1,000.00) for change of first name


The general rule is that petition shall be filed with the Local Civil Registry Office (LCRO) where the record containing the clerical error to be corrected or first name to be changed is kept. Included in this general rule is the case of the Office of the Clerk of Shari’a Court where records of divorces, revocations of divorces, conversions to Islam are kept and where some Muslim marriages are registered.

However, in case the petitioner is a migrant within or outside the Philippines, meaning his present residence or domicile is different from where his civil registry record or records are registered, he may file the petition in the nearest LCRO in his area. His petition will be treated as a migrant petition.

This copy of the Republic ACT 9048 is courtesy of www.abogadomo.com


5 Responses to “Correction of Error: Republic Act 9048”

  1. Lola Says:

    Hi can u help me on this?

    I’m from Baliuag, Bulacan. There’s a clerical error in my Middle Initial. (just one letter needs to be corrected) But I am surprised to hear from the Local civil registrar that it will take 3-4 months of processing after i submit the supporting documents that they are asking for. (which I am willing to submit):/

    I heard about the RA No. 9048 and found out that it will only take 15 working days of processing. What should I do to make them speed up the process? grrrr…

  2. grace Says:

    i havent tried to apply just yet but i would assume that consulting with a lawyer can probably speed up the process. you know how it is in our government…”konting lagay”…sabi nga ng iba…well..i hope its not like that anymore…

  3. Lola Says:

    so para saan p ung Gunigundo Law (RA 9048) if di nman pla susundin ng mga local registrar? prang wala lng. It was stated there na:

    “A person who violates any of the provisions of this Act shall, upon conviction, be penalized by imprisonment of not less than six (6) years but not more than twelve (12) years, or a fine of not less than Ten thousand pesos (P10,000.00) but not more than One Hundred Thousand pesos (P100,000.00), or both, at the discretion of the court.”

    Xempre kaysa gumastos p ng mahal ung petitioner s pag-consult ng lawyer, eh di wag nlang. Ang laking abala nun.

  4. hiutopor Says:


    Very interesting information! Thanks!


  5. may Says:

    i`m going through a somewhat similar situation. my 16-year old child`s passport renewal cannot be processed until we have his birth certificate go through a “correction of clerical error” which is my name`s spelling: They want Ma. to be changed to Maria to match other documents I have. We have yet to find out how to go about this.

Mag-iwan ng Tugon

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Palitan )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Palitan )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Palitan )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Palitan )

Connecting to %s